A family member has gone to prison- how can I get in contact with them?

A family member has gone to prison-how do I get in contact with them?
Share on facebook
Share on reddit
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email

At Hamilton Janke Lawyers we understand that if a family member or friend is sentenced to a term of full-time imprisonment it can be very difficult to contact them and stay in touch.

Locating a Prisoner in NSW

To find which prison your family member or friend is being held in you can contact Sentence Administration Corporate.

Phone: (02) 8346 1000 (Mon-Fri, 8:30am-4:30pm)

Email: [email protected]

It is important to understand and be corporative with the provisions of the Privacy and Personal Information Act 1998 and the Crimes (Administration of Sentences) Act 1999 and the restrictions on what information can be disclosed.

To get by this, you must confirm your identity and provide the name and date of birth or name and Master Index Number (MIN) of the person.

Arranging a Visit

Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances of COVID-19, in-person visits have been suspended at all correctional centres. In-person visits will be recommenced as soon as it is safe to do so.

In the meantime, you can request a video visit.

To do so, you must call the relevant correctional centre where the inmate is located. The visits staff will ask you for your name, Visitor Identification Number (VIN) and the MIN of the person you wish to contact. You will also be asked to provide your email address and mobile phone number so that you will receive a notification regarding your scheduled video visit.

For more information on video visits see the Corrective Services NSW website.

Sending Money

You can deposit money into a family member or friends account electronically by using BPAY or by making a deposit at a post office. Cash, cheque, and money order deposits are not accepted at any correctional centres.

The maximum amount you can deposit per transaction is $100 and inmates can receive up to $600 per month.

If you wish to make a deposit you will need your VIN, a CSNSW Depositor Reference Report which contains a personalised Customer Reference Number (CRN) for BPAY and Australia Post, as well as the BPAY biller code for CSNSW.

You can get the CSNSW Depositor Reference Report at the correctional centre, sent electronically or posted by CSNSW staff.


If you or someone you know needs assistance in contacting a family member or friend in prison, contact the team at Hamilton Janke Lawyers 24/7 by calling 4038 1666.



Contact Us

Most people receive a reply within 24 hours.

Your privacy is very important to us.